Career to Date:
A successful former football player who has excelled in the transition into coaching and management, providing a key point of leadership in the development of players and performance of teams at both senior and academy level.
Keen to explore new opportunities with increased responsibility and scope to apply a well-rounded perspective on modern football gained through work at elite clubs, independent academies and national structures in England and Europe.
- During my time at Ferencvaros I redeveloped the youth programme, which was severely lacking focus and structure. Since this improvement five academy players have been selected for Hungarian national squads and seven graduated to the first team squad
- Part of the scouting and analysis team for the England World Cup 2014 campaign, producing in depth reports on specific teams and players that England would face in the tournament
- Played an integral role in the set up and management of the VSI Academy for players aged 16 -18; selecting 22 players from 150 trialists from across Europe and coordinating their training, development and educational programs
- Coached future full internationals in the England U19s including Harry Kane, Ross Barkley, Jonjo Shelvey and Jack Butland, as well as talented players such as Saido Berahinoand Tom Ince
- Took over as manager of Hungary’s most successful club in April 2008 during a period in which they had been striving to return to the top flight for the past four seasons. Immediately won promotion in the first full season in charge, sealing the title by 17 points and with six games left in the season (75% win ratio)
- Worked alongside coaches, managers and executives such as Ronald Koeman, Gordon Strachan, Mark Hughes, Noel Blake, Antonio Gomez (Barcelona coach), Bryan Robson, Dave Watson, Simon Smith and Shaun Harvey
- UEFA Pro Licence
- LMA Diploma in Football Management & Leadership
- UEFA -A Licence
- UEFA B-Licence
- Youth Module 1, 2 & 3
- FA Preliminary Coaching Licence
- Southampton FC
- The FA
- Richmond International Soccer Academy
- VSI Academy (Spain & Portugal)
- England U19 National Team
- Leeds United FC
- Crystal Palace FC
- Ferencvaros TC
- First Team Manager
- Director of Football
- Bradford City FC
- Assistant Manager
- Youth/Reserve Team Coach
- Coaching the coaches in Vietnam CPDs and Hungary CPDs
- Regular BBC Radio pundit and summariser of live games
Skills & Competencies
- Organisation’s goals : Whether this is a season long coaching schedule to ensure a senior squad peaks at the right team, a clear youth development pathway into the first team, or a cohesive and age specific coaching strategy for an academy.
- Analysis: Excels in the assessment of teams to identify their strengths and weaknesses as evidenced by his role with the England national team. Able to produce accurate and detailed reports on individual or team performances that offer functional conclusions on how to beat the opposition with the players available.
- Talent ID: Highly skilled in identifying current talent and future potential as a former Chief Scout and having overseen the recruitment of all players at the VSI Academy. Recognises the positional ability and match intelligence of players beyond their technical or physical gifts, as well as their attitude, professionalism and discipline off the pitch.
- Knowledge of the Game: Possesses an invaluable level of experience having enjoyed a successful playing career and since moving into coaching, management and scouting at both academy and senior level. Maintains a strong awareness of trends in the modern game and has gained a broad perspective through work in Spain, Hungary and other countries.
- Youth Development: Proven record in engaging with young talent through experience working across various age groups at Leeds United, Bradford City,the England U19 team and independent academies. Prioritised a successful academy structure at Ferencvaros as recognition of its importance in modern football, ensuring coaching staff were provided the knowledge and tools to nurture youth players.
Notable players developed across all coaching/management roles include:
- Alex Mowatt: Leeds United player and England U20 international who has won the club’s Player of the Year, Players’ Player of the Year and Young Player of the Year awards aged just 20.
- Sam Byram: Leeds United player and also a winner of the club’s Players’ Player of the Year, Young Player of the Year and Supporters’ Player of the Year awards aged just 22.
- Ádám Nagy: Ferencvaros player who developed through the VIS academy and is now a senior Hungary international.
- István Ferenczi: Vasas SC player and former Ferencvaros player and Hungary international.
- Mason Holgate: Coached as a 14 and 15 year old at Leeds United before transferring to Barnsley. Moved to Everton in 2015 aged 18 and is currently part of the first team squad
- Balázs Megyeri: Broke into the Ferencvaros team in 2008 and signed for Olympiacos in 2010 for €3m. Currently playing for Getafe in the Spanish La Liga
- Former striker who most notably played for Derby County, Leeds United, Sheffield United, Leicester City, RotherhamUnited and Hull City over the course of a 15 year playing career (1980 -1995)
- Made over 500 appearances in all competitions and scored over 200 goals
- Won three Championship titles with Leeds United and Derby County combined, and sealed three promotions to the topflight with Derby County
- Derby County’s top goal scorer five seasons in a row
- Named in the FA All-Star Team four times
- Played under and learned from managers including Peter Taylor, Arthur Cox, Billy Bremner, Howard Wilkinson, Brian Little and Dave Bassett